Not that a long week is bad, I'm just thinking about what happened this week and can hardly believe that it was all this week. It feels like some of the things happened a month ago.
On Tuesday I tried to figure out how to use google sheets so I could set up a sheet to keep track of the progress of the people we are teaching. The main thing we learned is that I am really bad with spreadsheets. And I wasn't even trying to use formulas! Oh well.
We went out with a member to try and do a rescue visit, but the "ferocious" dog outside put a stop to us going inside. The member is going back with his ministering brother, though, to try to get in contact with him.
Tuesday night we started an exchange with the zone leaders, so Elder Price was down in Port Arthur with me.
Wednesday we started off with helping out at the soup kitchen, which is always a great experience.
It was a day for good food...we had a lesson with P__, and it turns out that she really loves to cook. And since she lives alone, she doesn't get to cook for people. So she cooked us some amazing beef tips, mushrooms, and green beans. And honestly, that dish may have cured me of not liking mushrooms and green beans. It was some of the best cooking I have ever had. More important than the physical feeding, though, was the spiritual feeding. She has such a strong testimony, and is just finally feeling the love and peace that comes from Jesus Christ. She is getting baptized in November, when her friends from Colorado can travel down here. P__'s story is also a great example of member missionary work!
The priests and laurels had a cook off for mutual, and one of the priests brought and cooked some shark, so I got to try that. It was pretty good!
Thursday we had a zone conference, emphasizing working with the members. Being around the other missionaries, I realized just how many are going home this transfer. We have a lot of current or former mission leaders that are hightailing it out of here. Of course, they need to make room for the fresh batch. There is supposed to be something like 20 new missionaries coming out next transfer! It is going to get crazy here in Texas for a while. Between last transfer and this transfer, pretty much half of the companionships in the mission will be training. The summer months are kind of crazy!
We met some fun people this week. One snuck up behind us when we knocked on his door and started speaking in tongues. I told him that sorry, I only speak English and Spanish, he laughed, and we sat down and taught the restoration! He was very open minded, very willing to discuss. And he actually understood the scriptures we asked him to read, which was awesome.
I had some wonderful opportunities to testify this week. I love the gospel, and I love getting to share what is in my heart. One member who hadn't been to church since he was a kid asked us why we had a living prophet, why that was important. Bad question to ask me ;) I got excited about bearing my testimony. At the end he mentioned that I presented it very well-jokes on him, though, it was all from the heart. Certainly it was the message of the restoration, but I put things in ways that I never had before.
Well, it was a long week, but a very very good week. And things will just keep being good!
I hope everyone is doing well, and having opportunities to share your testimonies as well. It is awesome!
Love,
Elder DeFord
No comments:
Post a Comment