Sunday, February 23, 2020

Week 69 (2/17/2020) Geaux Forth With Faith


Dear y'all,

Gradually, the rolling fields of Texas gave way to an entirely different type of field—vast  expanses of cultivated marsh, water higher than the road held back only by the berm around the edge. Small cages bob at intervals throughout the water, and workers in small, shallow boats skim across the surface, stopping to pull each trap out for the crawfish that may be inside. Such was the visual transition from the Lone Star state to America's French quarter. Dotting the highway were billboards advertising the great and spacious casinos available for pleasure and profit, with a mandatory hotline for gambling addiction scrawled across the bottom of each. As we pulled into Welsh, beads of yellow, purple, and green dotted the ground from a Mardi Gras parade two weeks ago. The main street of town is lined by old fashioned buildings, with shops open to the street with tall windows, though frequently no sign to proclaim their wares, and residential apartments above. It is to one of these second floor apartment that we went. Opening the door, we were greeted by a room that by itself was twice the size of my last apartment. Of course, that is not all accounted for by floor space, however. The vaulted ceilings stretch so high that even a leap from the counter top would make them impossible to reach. The work proceeds in much the same manner as in any other locale, though the local French influence requires a careful ear. Your tongue has to be quick to decipher names like Fontenot and Boudreaux, but even the Cajun are slightly self-effacing about the spelling which was passed down to them. The LSU Tigers being the proud team of this area, many banners will read "Geaux Tigers!".

Now that you have had the story book, you can get my more honest personality. We drove into Welsh last Tuesday, and the apartment really is huge. I may not have leapt from the countertop, but I did stand on them. I could reach the top of the cupboards...but those are only halfway up the wall! Most of our lights are burnt out, but I have no way of reaching them to change them. Having the space is definitely nice. One of the only downsides is that the floors and walls are very thin, so we have to step carefully to avoid disturbing our downstairs neighbors. The apartment does have a washer and dryer...unfortunately, they broke just before I got here, with no way to repair them. 

Our week has been full of visiting those taught by missionaries in the past, as well as contacting new people to teach. I have had to get back into the groove of a more standard style of missionary work, but it is quite honestly pretty fun. Of course, I have the best time when someone is willing to talk to us...even if they are stubborn. After all, I always have been fond of a vigorous discussion, although I would like to think that I keep away from any arguments. (Elder Hancock reminds me that I Bible bashed someone yesterday. Phooey. I did not Bible bash, I logic bashed. The man never countered any of my scriptural evidence, therefore it could not be a Bible bash) Speaking of Elder Hancock, he is great. He came out the transfer before me, but we have never before served around each other. Which is a shame, as he is a great guy. I am excited to work with him for the rest of our time together. 

Asides from the town of Welsh, we cover half of Jennings, and the towns of Rounouke, Iowa, Fenton, Kinder, Laccasine, which range in size from blink and you miss it to having a McDonalds to stop by. For anyone keeping track, the nearest Cane's is in Lake Charles, a 30 minute drive, or a 3 hour bike, or a 9 hour walk away. However, I did discover that there is a Cane's 3 hours from my house, located in Portland, Oregon, so that was a delightful surprise. 

Something that has really cropped up in my life this week is journaling. Now, I have always been pretty terrible at journaling, although almost every day of my mission has some chicken scratch about the events that transpired. However, I felt really unfulfilled by it. I didn't like doing it, nor did I really like going back and reviewing it. To me it was dry and boring. In any case, there have been some recent personal events that were causing me some stress and internal conflict. As I prayed for guidance, and I found myself praying frequently, the feeling I got was that I needed to write my feelings down. At that point I really wasn't thinking about journaling, although I did pull out my study journal to record my thoughts in-it is, after all, the only lined paper I own. Well, a couple of hours later I had filled several pages and felt quite at peace with the situation. I felt that I understood myself much better, and understanding myself, I was able to go to God with more confidence. It was after this experience that I realized that what I had done was really journaling, even though the events of the day had not even partially been mentioned. And that sparked a fire in me. In the interim week, I have read almost every article in the gospel library about journaling, and journaled extensively, even journaling about my journaling. To me, it has become very fulfilling as I am better able to ponder as I write. The reason I share this is because I figure, as with most things in the gospel, I am not the only person who could benefit from it. So-for me, journaling has given me the ability to ponder, to be introspective, to receive revelation; but only as I understood that it was okay to write down whatever I was thinking about, and didn't feel bound by some definition of what a journal had to be. Take of that and apply it as you will. 

Now, the one downside for you, my captive audience, is that I have been so excited about writing my thoughts that I hardly recorded what happened this week! I will share a few memories, however, in the time we have left. These will be presented in the order they occur to me, not in any given chronological order. 

Mr. Clints, down the road, is an old-fashioned candy and soda shop, which is cool by its very existence. Its many varied flavors of pop, each in glass bottles, are represented across the top of our cabinets, from missionaries who probably gained a couple of pounds consuming them. 

While out and about, we met a man named Russell, who, without stopping on his walk, pointed out all of the places on the street we could stop, including his sister. It was a brief contact, but we joke now about how Russell is our most progressing person. After all, there is a history of some very fine Russells in our church, including Russell M and M Russell. 

Last night, I gave myself a haircut for the first time ever. I don't think I did too shabby, although I know I did something wrong with my cowlick. Can't really see it, though, I just know it is sticking out funny. 

Let’s see...the Assistants came to district council this week. As we were counseling together, I was participating and sharing insights when a distinct impression occurred to me, that following my release as a zone leader, I experienced an actual loss of power and authority in training missionaries. This did not trouble me, as I am not called to lead at this point, but it is a feeling I had never experienced, having held comparatively few callings in my life, and, to this point, not having magnified them very well. It gave me a stronger testimony of the spiritual power available to us in our callings and responsibilities given through inspiration by one who has authority. I remember one of the former zone leaders I served around in Port Arthur, Elder Sheppard, saying much the same thing, talking about how he lost the ability to discern the needs of other missionaries when he was released. I thought he was full of it, but I guess not. Honestly, it was cool to experience. 

It turns out that due to the distance from Jennings to Houston, we attend the Baton Rouge Temple when we have a session, or when we take a recent convert to do baptisms. We are doing some family history work tonight with a recent convert, so hopefully sometime soon I will be a two-temple missionary. 

Due to the size of our area, we may spend a half hour at a time in the car. On one such occasion, I spent the trip mostly asleep. As we pulled into a gas station at the end, Elder Hancock reports that I seemed to be waking up, looking around a bit. He looked down to send a text, and when he looked back at me I was fast asleep again, when suddenly I jumped, threw my phone, and shouted "I'm awake now!". I mostly just remember the waking up and catching my phone. I don't remember throwing it, just catching it before it left my hands. 

Something I have thought about often on my mission, and that continues today, is the idea of absolute truths, and how we discover them. In reading Joseph Smith’s lectures on faith, many thoughts have materialized and occurred to me. Really, they are nothing new, but rather I have internalized the doctrine of the seed taught in Alma chapter 32. In any case, for us to teach someone, we present them with a seed by our initial fervent testimony of restored truth. They choose whether or not to plant the seed by giving us the time of day, and then must discover the truthfulness of the seed by their own faith and searching out God. 

Some more short excerpts from the week:

We saw a man riding around on a bike with a machete strapped to his back. We later saw the man without the machete. We have not yet found the body in the ditch with the machete in him, but it is here somewhere. 

After parking besides someone’s house, they followed us all the way into town, trying to get our attention. I must be an oblivious driver, since I never noticed. Finally, she went on the passenger’s side and Elder Hancock rolled down his window. "What were you doing in my neighborhood?" she yelled. "Oh, we are just missionaries" "oh, my bad, sorry" and with that she sped off. I wonder who she thought we were?

We met a man who informed us that we (20) were so young, while he (30) was so very old, so very sorry for all the 30+ out there, y'all are apparently ancient. 

Well, this is already more than y'all usually get out of my emails, so I will cut it off here. Love y'all, take care, don't let the crawfish bite!

Elder DeFord


Look at the size of this place!


No comments:

Post a Comment