Monday, May 11, 2020

Week 78 (4/20/2020)


Dear y'all,

I mentioned during my midweek email that we are having some success with a man named S__S__. We found him some time before the quarantine, but had had a really hard time getting in with him. Well, even now, long lessons are the exception, not the rule, but when we can catch him we have great discussion. He is middle-aged, lives here in Welsh. When we first brought up the Book of Mormon, he expressed how much he loved that book! (Missionaries had worked with him in earlier years) One frustration that he shared with us was that he has a hard time understanding what he reads in the scriptures. Sometime ago, when I was teaching him over the phone, I committed him to offer a prayer before he began reading and ask to be able to understand it. Well, in a lesson Elder Hancock was teaching him this week, he said that he had, and for the first time in his life, to use his words, he could understand everything he read! Super cool. 

That is one strange thing about phone proselyting: not teaching as a companionship. Even though it is on speakerphone, the companion who is not speaking finds himself seemingly unable to contribute in any meaningful way. After all, they can't see me nod along with what Elder Hancock is saying, and my flipping through scriptures is generally to no avail. One thing I often do is just kneel and offer a prayer for Elder Hancock and the person being taught. That is something you can't do in person!

We had our interviews with President Hewlett this week. Among other things, he asked me if I had accomplished on my mission what the Lord wanted me to. I was surprised at the question. I responded that I had accomplished 18 months’ worth, but that I wouldn't be done until the badge came off my chest. And then I thought a little and continued that I wouldn't really be done then either, though the circumstances of my life may change. 

See, I never plan to stop being about my Father's business. We recall that when Jesus made that startling pronouncement he was but 11 years of age, and yet his formal ministry began at the age of 30. We can reasonably assume that the intervening years were spent planing, shaping, and smoothing wood as a carpenter. Yet He was no less the Christ when He was pursuing His occupation and, we must assume, rejoicing and enjoying the fellowship of both friends and family. It is laughable to assume that when God's voice came down from Heaven saying that He was well pleased, that that was a modification of earlier displeasure. Of course not. Heavenly Father was pleased with all His Son did. So it is with us. Sometimes we feel that because we are not constantly engaged in our own "3-year ministry", we are falling short of God's expectations, or on the flipside, that we are not in His work. 

I love the comparison with work, but I believe that our own shifting culture regarding employment has also shifted our views towards God's work. I think of the days when work was a vital necessity: if you didn't work today, you had no crops come winter. There were no set hours, but you did all you could in all the time you had. It was grueling, I am sure, but people were happy. Today, work is often something we put on for eight hours and leave at the office (spoken in observation, not condemnation). Which has led too many of us, I fear, to treat God's work the same way. When we are on a mission, or serving in our callings, of course we are about our Fathers business, we might say. But we would do well to remember that the "son" of Joseph was no less fulfilling his divinely appointed mission as the Christ when he was making yokes as when he was teaching about them. 

Well, I didn't intend to moralize on that quite so extensively. The point being, that I want to live each day in expectation of God's approbation; not looking forward to some imagined conclusion, for His work is one eternal round. 

I suppose that it is no surprise that I am writing a little more extensively, such is the natural consequence of reading more extensively. Useless statistics of the week: 

Number of people who have messaged me over family search telling me I am doing things wrong: 1 

Books read while on mission: somewhere between 15-20

Books read while in Welsh: 5

Pounds away from pre-mission weight: 0

Number of influential people the Hewlett's know and have gotten to address us over zoom: ...I suppose it depends on how you define influential. Becky Craven of the General Young Womens Presidency addressed us this week. 

Time I'll get tired of being facetious and actually send this email: well, I don't think I will even tire of being cleverly amusing, but I get my point. 

Love you all, and I am praying for you. Yes, you. Don't turn around and look at anybody else. 

Elder DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment