You
have all heard the conversion stories, the person says that after they got the
Book of Mormon, they just couldn't put it down, when the missionaries come back
the next day they have read the whole thing and know it is true. I was always
intrigued by those stories. Being relatively aware of the rate that most people
read the scriptures, it is pretty amazing to think that someone, with no
familiarity with a scriptural text, might sit down and read it.
Now, I was rather
limited in my experiment, since the only one that was willing to participate
was me (the people we were teaching didn't seemed thrilled at the prospect of
reading the whole thing), and I am not the best test subject, perhaps, since I
am relatively familiar with both the Book of Mormon and scriptural language.
But I wanted to see anyways. The verdict? It is possible, clocking in just over
13 hours to read the whole thing. No better way to spend the Sabbath.
Here are the
conclusions that I drew from this experience:
1. Anyone who does that
the first time they pick up a Book of Mormon is being acted upon by the Holy
Ghost, no other explanation.
2. Even 13 straight
hours of scripture study doesn't perfect you, more's the pity.
3. They sure talk
about Jesus a lot in that book
4. Ether is always
shorter than I think it is. Good thing, too, by the time I got to Ether it was
almost my bedtime.
5. It is hard to
absorb much from scripture when you are speed reading.
Well, there you go. I
tried it, so if that was a question that has always bothered you, now you don't
have to. I wouldn't particularly recommend it. I love the Book of Mormon, but
keep the studies under 4 hours
🏽
In other news, I also
finished the New Testament this week.
We had our Branch
Council and Sunday School over zoom yesterday, it was nice to actually see some
members of the branch. And one of our members dropped of a meal to us, so we
actually got to see somebody.
Our teaching currently
mostly consists of sharing Book of Mormon scriptures whenever we can get
someone on the phone. Phone lessons tend to be more succinct: they are a one
principle sort of a deal. Not that they are always short....but you do only end
up getting one principle in edgewise during the long phone calls too.
Hoping and praying
that this ends soon. I'll send an addendum to this email if and when I come up
with some jokes. My brain is still tired from yesterday.
Oh! We were told this
week that at transfers next week, our mission will be absorbing the Spring,
Texas stake, so that is pretty cool. I think President said that the temple
would still be barely outside of our boundaries, though.
Love,
Elder DeFord
No comments:
Post a Comment