Monday, November 12, 2018

Week 4 (11/11/2018) Welcome to Jasper

Welcome to Jasper!

Dad would hate it here. There are trees everywhere, very green. Jasper is a small town, but it does have a Walmart so that makes it a little better, I guess. Our area actually covers 3 or 4 more little towns, but I've only been to one other so far. We do have a car, but despite being one of the largest areas in the mission, we dont have as many miles as some other areas, so we try to bike when we can and when it isn't raining. 

Our apartment is nice, at least. It is a clean complex, a nice area, a little fishing pond/park just down the road. And it's one of the few apartments with two bathrooms, so that is a nice thing. Doesn't feel too cramped, and we have a washer/dryer in the apartment so we dont have to go anywhere. 




 

Elder Lloyd is quiet and reserved generally, so we get along pretty well. He's been out about 14 months, and is our district leader right now too. 

So I talked about the park near our apartment. Apparently Christmas is really important in Jasper. The whole park is filled with lifelike silhouettes of Christmassy things and what not, and it's on the light poles and everything. Well, where there are light poles. 


 

Other than that, Jasper is just a small and relatively poor town. The Jasper branch is 289 members strong, but has a 70% inactive rate so it's really just like 60 members. We do have a building, although the chapel is only like six rows long, and the gym is only half court. So it's small, but works for the small branch. Our branch president is President B__, he seems like a good guy. Our ward mission leader, Brother M__, is great, took us out for lunch on Wednesday to get to know me. Also in the branch is the R__ family.

The R__ family is important for several reasons. First off, at least three people we've contacted say they've talked about the gospel with C__ R__. He apparently knows everyone in Jasper and surrounding territories. The second is that the R__'s have some soon-to-be missionaries. So on Wednesday night we attended a mission call opening, and it was the full party, standing room only type of thing. L__ got called to the Yakima, Washington mission, so we'll be swapping places. Now, the second R__ thing is that we had a R__ missionary farewell on Sunday. And they went all out. 4 talks, 3 musical numbers, and doubled the size of the branch with family from the area, and then a party/linger-longer afterwards that was as elaborate as I've ever seen. That's just how the R__s are, I guess. But with the musical numbers, we got a text on Thursday asking "that new elder plays the piano, right?" So long story short, I played for one of the solo's, and sang in a group for another song. I'm glad the piano part wasn't too hard. Sorry I don't have a recording, I didn't think about it until afterwards. I'm also speaking next week, so the branch is eager to use me.

Okay, about the actual missionary work. When I got here, we had two people on date. An hour later, we only had one. Our good, progressing person dropped us because her inactive member boyfriend by which she has two children cheated on her. So then we only had F__ on date. So our week was spent tracting, tracting, tracting to find new people. When I got here on Monday-Wednesday, it was 80 degrees outside and absolutely terrible. By Friday it was down in the 40's and 50's and felt really cold. The time we're supposed to be out working is from 10-12, afternoon, and 6-9. Great. Well, it gets dark at 6, so we do a lot of tracting and knocking doors in the dark. And cold. And downpour, the last couple of nights. But things are going well. We found 8 people who were at least willing to have us come back, including one deaf lady who could read our lips. We're trying to get the ASL missionaries to video chat in so we can teach her. We also met a Brother G__, not a member but has been taught on and off for a long time. As we talked with him, he opened up to us in a way that he said that he never had before with missionaries, and both Elder Lloyd and I felt prompted that we needed to get him to baptism. So were going to try to get back there this week. 

President Hewlett wants all new missionaries to read the Book of Mormon in 11 weeks, at which point they have a thing called "new missionary certification" where a new elder, like me, has to teach five lessons solo, and have scripture references for certain topics memorized, and stuff. So I'm working on that, actually trying to finish the Book of Mormon by the end of the year.

Okay, well, I feel like I've written a lot. There are more stories I could tell, obviously, but I think I'll stop there for today. Also, I can have a backpack in this mission, just like we guessed. I was going to get one today, but I got a little handle-bar bag for my bike instead, which should fit the bill. 

Signing out,
Elder DeFord

P.s. I realize I'm not in any of the pictures. I'll try and do a better job of picture taking. 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment