Sunday, December 2, 2018

Week 5 (11/19/2018) The Houston Temple

I just want to be clear at the start of this email that the guidelines for emailing I talked about last week only apply to me, and you all can respond and email me as much as you want, I can still read stuff throughout the week. I dont know if I was clear about that last week.

Okay, on to the mailer!

Our weather has been on the fritz. On Tuesday we actually saw snowflakes! And by Friday it was over 70 degrees outside during the day, which I think is actually more normal for this area. 

In any case, we had the great opportunity to visit the Houston Temple on Tuesday! It took most of the day, so our p-day today is actually shortened to pay for it, but I'm so grateful that we have the opportunity to go. When I found out that the temple was outside of my mission I was disappointed because I figured we wouldn't be able to go very often, but I am grateful we get to go quarterly. It's a big blessing. Br. C__ drove us down, but I'll talk about him more in a minute. The Houston temple is a beautiful building, and of course the spirit within was delightful. 


Also on Tuesday, when we were out proselyting after 8, we got the cops called on us. And we are being told by the ward council that our nighttime work is getting lots of comments on Facebook, some good, some bad, some people encouraging others to call the cops on us. Well, any publicity is good publicity....right? But I know that President Hewlett was inspired to give us the counsel to knock until 9, so knock we will. 

A little bit more about Jasper: since we drove out of the city limits several times, I got to see the city population on the sign and all. Jasper has a population of 7,714 people. Does anyone know how that compares to Tri-Cities/Kennewick? It only has one each of elementary, middle school, and high school, and all of their mascots are the bulldog, so everyone is a bulldog fan here. It's small, but a good place, and even though the branch is small it is really wonderful, we have some great members. And that brings me to Br. C__.

I dont know if I said anything about Br. C__ last week, but we love him. He has taken F__, our baptismal candidate, under his wing. He takes us out for lunch with F__, and then teaches him a lesson and gives us some time to teach, as well as helping get F__ the temporal support and guidance he needs. Even after all that, he drove us to the temple, taking up his whole day. He is a great guy, and a really good teacher. His calling for the past 10 years has been to teach the gospel in the prison every Sunday for two hours, so he has lots of experience. We've been very grateful for his support, which is coming at a time when his wife has been sick, as well. I aspire to be as charitable and dependable as him. He also has given us just some really great life advice. And to top it all off, he's hilarious. So we love Br. C__. 

He's not the only fantastic member of our branch, though. We have a lot of people who were converts to the church but are now stalwarts of the faith. It is a great area, country and small not-withstanding. 

Also, just kind of on a side note, have you ever noticed how posture can affect your mood? One thing I try to be aware of is walking with my head upright. When I walk I usually look down at my feet, which is fine and all. But when I stand up straight and hold my head erect, I just feel happier and more confident, I can hardly keep from grinning. Just from better posture. Pretty weird, but I promise it works. 

For an investigator report, F__ is progressing well, and we put a young kid named K__ on date as well! Our goal for this week is three on date, so we are working with some more people we hope will accept the invitation. More on that next week, if it works out. 

Let's see. On Thursday and Friday we did exchanges, so Elder Ure came up to Jasper and I got to lead out for the days activities. It ended up being a great day, with several good lessons (and at least one not great one-we taught a drunk guy the restoration in about three minutes and gave him a book of Mormon. At Elder Ure's insistence-I wouldn't have bothered considering how far gone he looked. Well, he may not remember us, but maybe the book will stir something inside of him). Because it was my area, I got more of an opportunity to be the lead in teaching and stuff, and it was a good experience for me. I felt good about where I was at. 

For a spiritual experience from this week, one night pretty late when we were tracting we saw a guy going into a house, so we chatted with him...he went in and sent another guy out, who went and pulled someone else out for us to talk to...eventually I think we were talking to 4 20-ish year old men on the doorstep. We explained a little about the restoration, and they kept asking really great questions. I really felt the spirit bringing scriptures and answers to my mind, and Elder Lloyd must have too, because we were able to answer everyone of their questions, and reference a bible scripture almost every sentence. Sometimes Elder Lloyd would be talking and I would think something like "oh, Hebrews 12:9 would go great here" and then a second later he would say "in Hebrews 12:9 it says...". So that was a powerful teaching experience. After we left Elder Lloyd shared that he was pretty sure he recognized one of them, and that they were part of a youth Baptist group and had essentially been trained to trip us up and get us to contradict ourselves our admit to being supremacists or whatever the case may be. But instead the spirit led us to "confound" all of their attempts, and hopefully they will remember the things we taught-from the bible- the next time their pastor "teaches" them about the Church of Jesus Christ. 

Just to close, we did some service for an unbaptized daughter of a member of our branch...and apparently it is a thing in Texas to just pile all of your trash in your yard and have a bonfire. So we burned a whole bunch of stuff. 


Oh! I guess I should mention that I spoke on Sunday. I talked about praying in faith, and how if we pray for missionaries to find people to teach but don't try and share with our friends and family, our prayers are in vain. I must have had the right mix of fire and the spirit in my talk, because I had a good fourth of the ward stop me to tell me how good my talk was, and we already have one referral from someone who said that as I talked a name came into her mind. See Elder Bednar's 2008 conference talk Ask In Faith for where I got some of my material, it's a good talk. 

With love,
Elder DeFord

P.S. any Christmas packages are supposed to be sent to 
2815 West Lake Houston Parkway, #109, Kingwood, TX 773458 (with Christmas written on the package)

More about Christmas next week! Y'all better be excited to hear about Christmas in Jasper. 

P.P.S. the Boot Barn is the most Texas store ever, and I love it. Pictures included. When I step off the plane in a couple years, I want to be decked out in their merchandise, belt buckle and hat and all.



😉

No comments:

Post a Comment