Sunday, December 2, 2018

Week 6 (11/26/2018) Merry Christmas

Merry Christmas! Thanksgiving can step aside, here in Jasper.
 

Not that Thanksgiving wasn't wonderful. We ate with a great family, the O__'s, who are really fun to talk to and be around. They are actually originally from Utah, but Bro. O moved down here because the jobs were better. Their daughter is the theatre teacher at Jasper high school, so that is pretty cool. But that was really good, we enjoy visiting with them. And they invited us to go fishing in their pond some p-day, so that was nice of them and we look forward to it. Apparently ponds in Texas are self-stocked by birds and runoffs, so you never even have to put fish in. Pretty cool!
 
 

We did a lot of biking the beginning of this week, but it has at least warmed up some down here. I feel kind of chilly in the 50's, admittedly, but I think that that is the humidity. I feel bad for that below freezing weather back home. We are still getting 70's and stuff, and with its hills Jasper is one of the colder parts of the mission. I'll probably not be so happy come summer, though ;)

Mom pointed out that I didn't elaborate much on my cop story from last week. Well, we were tracting at night at an apartment complex, someone took offense to that and called the cops. They showed up about a minute later (such fast response times!) And did the whole "can I help you gentlemen" speel. He told us not to knock "after business hours" and that he wouldn't throw us off of the property this time. Well, we went on our way and are still knocking up until 9 PM, since that's within our rights. But fun times!

So for Thanksgiving I studied, surprise surprise, gratitude. I was reading in Teaching of the Presidents of the Church, Brigham Young, and he said something pretty strongly. He said that he knows of no sin, save the unpardonable sin, greater than the sin of ingratitude. Woah. His take on gratitude is the one expressed in the scripture about if someone receives not a gift then neither the giver or the receiver rejoices in it: that is, we have been given our circumstances and we show gratitude by improving upon what we have been given. I really liked the thoughts that he gave.

We had a lesson with F__ this week that ended up being pretty cool. As we were talking he opened up to us and shared three distinct ways that he had felt the spirit during this process (though he didn't know that's what it was) he talked about being prompted to speak to us, that a weight had been taken off of his chest, that he wasn't having dark thoughts or desires to do things that are wrong anymore. That was a pretty cool experience!

 For Christmas Zone Conference I'm going to be performing in a talent show, singing Because You Prayed for Me by Sally, so that will be fun. I'm also accompanying the primary for two songs in the branch. I'm getting plenty of opportunities to improve my playing! 

Okay, as to Christmas. On Saturday, before all the Turkey leftovers were even out of the fridge, Jasper celebrated Christmas in the Park. Big ol' festival, lots of people out, live music, all sorts of fun stuff. I'll include pictures, and videos of the fireworks! What a show! They really put our meager 4th of July to shame, and this was just for Christmas ! ;) I was playing "try and video the finale" and have lots of videos because there were lots of impressive bits. Pretty fun! We struggled contacting people, though. Even though it was a celebration about Christ, nobody wanted to talk about him ;) we did run into someone, though, who had been baptized as a kid and hadn't been back since, so that was a blessing. Were going to try and follow up with them this week. 

Alright, well, I think that is about it. By the end of the week a lot of stuff just doesnt seem too important anymore ;) but I'm alive and well, and you can always address any questions to me directly if you want to hear more.

With love,
Elder DeFord
 



 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment