Thursday, July 25, 2019

Week 37 (7/8/2019) Independence Day

7/8/2019

Happy fourth of July, everybody! I hope you all made it through with eyebrows intact. 

My dad asked some questions about the soup kitchen we work at, so I figured I would answer those here. It is run by a Catholic charity, I believe. We interact a little bit with the customers, generally when I go out and eat lunch, that is, but mostly we talk to the other workers. Well, mostly we talk to each other, since us six missionaries run the whole serving line when we go. Of course, this week it was raining and the first week of the month, so it was a pretty sparse crowd. 

What I am really noticing in our prozelyting (and I may have already talked about this, I am not sure) is that while people that are looking for truth may be few and far between, there are I think many who don't feel the peace of the spirit. Most of the people here believe in Christ because they were raised that way, but haven't really had spiritual experiences. Which is sort of good for us, I suppose, because I know that the key to peace and happiness is the gospel of Jesus Christ. And we can promise these people that! That is a cool promise to get to make. 

One person especially this week, R__, was intrigued by our message. In the middle of teaching the restoration I felt prompted to share a personal experience, just about feeling the spirit and God's love. After I shared it we talked about the peace that comes from the Holy Spirit and how that can be operative in our lives. She was very desirous to experience that peace for herself. 

We also have a young girl, C__, whose grandparents are active and bring her to church, but her parents are not involved in the church. Well, just this week we got the parents permission to work with her for baptism, so we will start teaching her the lessons this week. 

Fourth of July in the heart of Texas was...well, not nearly as many explosions as I expected. It was actually just super chill, we went to a bbq with a member and played some volleyball, but that was about it. I expected more nuclear holocaust. 

You know, speaking of nuclear things, I took a career test that said I should be a nuclear scientist. I decided I want to develop budgeting software, though. 

It was Elder James' birthday on Saturday. I really appreciate him! He is a very good companion, and I have been grateful to be with him. Of course, we probably only have another week together...transfers is next week, and I don't think we will be staying together. Just a hunch. But, we wont know until next Monday. Well...y'all wont know until next Tuesday, when my pday is and I can tell you. But I'll know on Monday. Ha. I know before y'all. So there. Take that. 

Well, it was a good week, but pretty tame, so I will probably leave this here. 

Love y'all!
Elder DeFord





No comments:

Post a Comment