Monday, October 14, 2019

Week 51 (10/14/2019) Cold Front

Dear everybody,

That is right, a cold front blew through. There were a couple of days when the highs were only in the sixties. The sad part is that I actually felt cold in the sixties, though ;) the heat has ruined me for regular weather. We did have some incredibly pleasant days, though. Highs are back in the 80's now, though. 

This has been a very good week! Of course, God only makes good weeks, but I was on board and actually saw the good this time ;)

So as I said, we had transfers last week, and brought a lot of new missionaries into our zone. Most of them I have never served around before, so it has been fun getting to know them a little. For one of the Elders that came here to the Fairmont ward, it is the third time on his mission he has served here! Crazy. My mission son (in mission lingo, when you train someone they are your son) got transferred to Baytown, so I will get to see him a little more often too. 

The first week of the transfer always has a hefty dose of planning to go along with it. Elder Ewell and I had to plan everyone's miles, our exchanges, and the zone vision. The big focus right now is baptism! Of course, that is always the focus ;) but the mission is trying to baptize 100 people in 100 days - finding 100 people in the last 100 days, so that is the focus we are helping our zone with. Essentially that is 1.3 baptisms per companionship, and we want to help them achieve that goal. 

This is actually going to be a really good transfer. We have a lot of great missionaries in the zone, and some awesome things planned. In November Elder Kyle McKay of the Seventy will be touring the mission, and we will also, I think, be having another temple trip. 

Anyways, back to this week. We had an awesome lesson with C__, our YSA friend, on Wednesday morning. We taught him the plan of salvation, and I guess I really thought about how important that plan and that knowledge that we have is. It is amazing that we do know, as President Oaks emphasized at conference, that we can "trust in the Lord". We might not know everything, but we know enough. Wednesday night we had a dinner and a lesson with a very sweet family. The mother had previously been dating a member of our church, so that was how we came to know them, and they have really welcomed us into their home. 

Friday we attended the district council of one of our new district leaders, and he did a great job. We went to Sam's club for lunch at their deli...and then a cashier kicked us out. And then a security guard said we were good to go in and walked in with us. And a manager kicked us out again. It was a fun time. But we went to Wendy's as a backup plan, and a member from Wenatchee came and paid for us, so that was pretty cool. 

Saturday was an awesome day. Beautiful weather, out biking. Not hot or cold, just really lovely. While we were talking to people on the street we met an awesome lady, she shared that she and her husband were looking for a church for their family, and they had actually talked about the Mormons! He said he had gone before, and really missed it. And then she stepped outside just for a minute, and we rode by. Miracles!

On our way to our next appointment I got a flat tire, so that was less than ideal, but we were pretty close, so we walked over and had our lesson. Afterwards Michael Dinsdale came and picked us up in his truck, so that was better than walking all the way home. 

Also on Saturday we had a couple of former Elders come down to visit, Elder Brown and Elder Dowdle. Elder Brown was my ZL and AP for a while, Elder Brown was a ZL when I came out, I think. It was fun to see them again!

Sunday C__ came to church, and told us he would be free for lessons this next weekend because his girlfriend from Canada is in town...Elder Ewell and I looked at each other, and told him that we could move up his baptism. So he is getting baptized this saturday! It is going to be sweet!

It was an awesome week, lots of miracles, things going well. Hopefully the good weather returns.

From the heat of Texas,
Elder DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment