Sunday, November 3, 2019

Week 53 (10/28/2019) Go Astros!

Woohoo, the Astros are 3-2 in the World Series! It is really annoying, I will tell people I am 
from Washington and then they ask if I am supporting the Nationals. Wrong Washington,
 folks. Really wasn't a baseball fan, but I'm honestly getting pretty hyped at the moment. 
If the Astros win this next game they will take it all!

Anyways, watching the Astros games took up most of our week...kidding! But we would 
ask people we talked to about the score. A nice Walmart associate just updated us on 
yesterdays game. 

We had the opportunity to conduct an exchange with some of our Elders in Baytown. I 
was in their area biking, but it was a lovely day. The only downside was when I didn't 
realize I was standing on a fire ant nest and they went to town on my leg. But we worked 
hard, had a good lesson, found some new people for them to teach. It was a fun time! 

Thursday was interesting. We talked to several people, engineers by trade, who were 
highly intelligent, but they let that intelligence blind them. As one was telling us about 
how the appropriate sabbaths are according to the phases of the moon, I wanted to 
interject-"does it matter? Will that save you? Do you think God cares what day you
 dedicate to Him, or that you give Him your heart?". Another one, to whom we explained
 in summary the Plan of Salvation, completely misinterpreted everything we said. So I 
told him so "yeah, so, that isn't what I said at all". It was just sad to see these people 
who are looking for answers, but only trust their own intelligence to find them. 

Friday us and the APs all rolled up to the same District Council (probably stressed the 
District Leader out, too, whoops). We went out for lunch after district council, and as I
 was eating my burritos my jaw was really hurting. I mentioned it to one of the Elders, 
and he said that it looked like there was a golf ball in my mouth. Sure enough, I was all 
swollen on that side of my face. So we started our exchanges with the assistants by
 Elder Topham and I going to the urgent care. Apparently I just stressed my jaw somehow, 
nothing serious. They diagnosed me with temporo-mandibular joint problems, and told 
me to get a mouthguard to help with teeth grinding. Although I don't grind my teeth, so 
there is that ;) anyways, I went to get the mouthguard, and on the warning label it said
 "DO NOT use if you have been diagnosed with temporo-mandibular joint problems". 
So I didn't end up getting it. My jaw feels all better now, though, so I guess we are okay. 

The rest of my exchange went well, we taught an awesome lessons to a returning member 
and to our friend C__. 

The rest of our Saturday, after we ended our exchange, we went to do a split with our Elders 
in Broadway, just to see how they were doing. It ended up being really good, we each found
 someone new for them to teach. Elder Capello and I also ran into someone that the 
Spanish hermanas were teaching, so when we asked him if he had ever talked to missionaries
 before, he said "yeah, every Tuesday!". Whoops ;) 

Sunday night we had a mission fireside where recent converts share their experiences. C__ 
was going to speak, but he got called in to work. I was asked to play the piano, which as 
always went perfectly fine through prelude until we got to the point where the congregation
 sings. I always mess up right about then ;) but it is okay. It was a good fireside, it is always
 cool to hear about how people love the gospel and how they found it to be true. 

All in all, it was a good week, we had some colder temperatures (although it is supposed to 
be 80's again this week), talked to a lot of awesome people and felt the spirit in great abundance. 

Love from Texas,
Elder DeFord


Attachments area

No comments:

Post a Comment