Dear everyone,
Time is just flying by, so I could try a play by play of my week, but honestly I probably can't remember most of it. It has been super good, though.
I was on exchanges with Elder Christianson in Broadway on Wednesday, we probably biked a good 30 miles, at one point we spent about 45 minutes straight biking. My thighs were burning just a tad after that one, but it was a lot of fun.
We had a monsoon this week. I suppose not really, but bad enough that water was coursing down my windshield and even with my wipers going full blast I couldn't see the road. Most of our roads had some standing water, but it all drained off once the rain quit. That is the thing here-it rains super hard, but the water doesn't tend to stick around when the storm is over. Even during the storm, it isn't really standing water--it is all running for the drains, it just gets replaced as fast as it drains off.
We had dinner with a really cool family that is returning to activity. They welcomed us into their home, and their kids are really funny. They are just a sweet, good family. We are going to be working with the kids to get them baptized.
We weren't going to have time for a full exchange with our Baytown Elders, so we did a blitz in their area on Friday. I was reunited with my son (i.e. Adam trained Elder Larcom), Elder Larcom, and we had a good time. We were supposed to go help move and set up a table, but we got to the house about ten minutes early. I asked Elder Larcom if he had the faith to find someone new to teach in that time, he responded affirmatively, and two doors later we had found a family that invited us back. We were supposed to pick up Elder Ewell and Elder Gregory at 5...but I was in the middle of putting the table together. It all worked out, though.
On Saturday we went with C__, our recent convert, to the temple for the first time! He had the opportunity to participate in baptisms, and he was just grinning the whole time. It was a sweet experience, and then we stopped at the Houston Bishop's storehouse to help out the YSA (Young Single Adult) councilor, who drove us to the temple.
That night we had the ward's Thanksgiving social--a little early, but it was good! Have to start thanksgiving early so I have room to fit it all in!
On Sunday we went to visit someone for the bishop, and as we were walking away from their apartment, someone getting out of their car called out "our y'all LDS?". We talked to him, it turns out that he grew up in the church but has had a rough time since then. It is cool how the Lord puts us in the path of the people we need to talk to.
It has been a sweet week, and this next week is going to be a blur. Elder Kyle S Mckay is coming to the mission, we have a leadership meeting with him on Wednesday, and then a big mission conference on Friday. I'm playing the piano, so hopefully I don't have to participate in any other ways. Elder Ewell, poor guy, got stuck conducting.
And next week is transfers, so Tuesday is p-day, and probably a new companion.
Happy Fall, y'all,
Elder DeFord






No comments:
Post a Comment