Dear y'all,
I got tired of subject
lines, so this is the story of week 61. At least, I think it is week 61. I am
trusting the Elder from my MTC district who has been titling his weekly letter
by the numerical week since the beginning. Hypothetically he hasn't lost
track. (Editor's aka Mom's note. You might notice the difference in numbers. I started counting AFTER the MTC. Good example of why calendars throughout the ages were different I suppose.)
Anyways, it is crazy
that it is almost Christmas! This is the last time you will hear from me until
then, because our p-day is being moved to Christmas Eve and Christmas next week
so that nobody gets upset at us for knocking on their door Christmas morning ;)
and the week after that is transfers (on New Year's Eve) so this is my last Monday p-day for a couple of weeks. We are making the most of it by going
bowling, though. Should be fun.
This week was
jam-packed. We made gingerbread houses with the Dinsdale's for FHE, mine didn't
win the competition, despite my beautiful interior. You can't see it very well
in the picture, but I put a bed complete with pillows and night-stand inside of
my house. I broke it four or five times trying to cut out the windows,
though.
Tuesday we had a
lesson with a member that just got recently married and moved into the ward. We
hope to be teaching him and his family more! We also had a good lesson. That, to
me, is the epitome of...I can't decide what it is the epitome of, actually, but
it was good. When we first tracted into this woman, she told us she was busy,
but that we should come back the next day. The next day, same thing happened.
The third time we went by, she said that she didn't have a lot of time, but she
did want to hear our message, so she let us sit down and share it. What I
thought was cool about her was that she wasn't exactly looking for religion or
anything like that, but she was willing to let us share our message. I wish
more people would be like that!
We were on exchanges
on Wednesday, I brought Elder Boam to my area. Exchanges are never my favorite,
they just throw a wrench in the regular schedule, but it was good. We taught a
powerful lesson to a part-member family about how we cannot procrastinate
becoming active in following Christ, because by the time our kids hit the
teenage rebellious stage, it is too late to start trying to teach them Christ's
gospel, but if you raise up a child in the way he should go he will not depart
from it.
We got the windshield
on our car replaced this week, which would be totally normal, except that our
TiWi unit, which is a machine that monitors and reports on our driving to help
us be safe, unstuck from the new windshield, so we had to unplug it for a
couple of days. And I am not going to say I had fun driving without it, but I
might have had fun driving without it.
Thursday we had the
opportunity to hand out bikes at a disadvantaged elementary school, which was
super cool. Most of the kids were really excited to get their bikes, it was
Christmas come early! I was adjusting the height of the bike seat, and it was
always funny when I moved it down as low as it could go and their feet still
couldn't touch the ground. We just had to tell them they would grow into it!
We also had interviews
with President on Thursday. Because we were there at lunchtime, Sister Hewlett
wanted to buy us all lunch, and Elder Harward and I got to pick it all up. 11
orders from Cain's smells really good in one van! After interviews we had to
drive up to Kingwood to go to the doctor. Elder Harward twisted his ankle on
p-day, and the mission wanted him to get x-rays, so between driving up, the
actual appointment, and driving back, that took most of the rest of the
day.
Friday we went to
district council in Broadway, and then drove all the way across our zone to go
on exchanges in Baytown. We stopped to get gas, and someone called out of their
car to us. It was a man whose aunt is a member of the church, so he is aware of
the missionaries. He really wanted us over at his house, we explained that
other missionaries cover his area (we were out in Baytown at this point) but he
insisted that it had to be us. So we are going on Friday. That should be a fun
experience.
Saturday we were still
on exchanges, I got to get my biking out of my system. We had a couple of good
strong lessons. I wish I could just teach all day long, I love teaching. We
made it back to our area in time for the ward Christmas Party, and Elder
Harward and I repped our Christmas Llama Sweaters. We looked pretty darn good,
if I do say so myself.
It was a long week, it
was a good week, S__ is preparing for baptism on the 25th of January, in
case anyone was wondering.
Church is true, the
sun is shining, the tank is clean....the tank is clean?!
Love,
Elder DeFord




No comments:
Post a Comment