Monday, January 20, 2020

Week 64 (1/13/2020) A Testimony of the Savior


Dear y'all,

It was another week where actual prozelyting was a little far from the truth. 

After our FHE with the YSA Monday night, we picked up the Orange zone leaders and drove them all the way out to Kingwood to spend the night at the Assistant's before our meeting the next morning. We arrived at 10:30 pm, the APs weren't done planning for the meeting until almost midnight, poor fellas. 

Tuesday was the Mission Leadership Council, we talked a lot about what the mission needed (a greater focus on Christ, was my takeaway) and about new mission standards for music (a whole lot stricter than what they used to be, but I think it will be a good thing) and district council topics. It was actually a pretty sweet meeting. The rest of the day was driving the Vidor zone leaders home, driving back to Beaumont, dinner, then institute, where we just started the Book of Mormon, so just as Come Follow Me starts, so do we. 

Wednesday we had our interviews with President Hewlett in the morning. Both of us (Elder Carraway and I) talked to him about what we can do for the area and for the zone. As we cover the biggest zone in the mission (30 missionaries) President really wants us to be watching over them. And until campus opens, we have a pretty good opportunity to do so. Only one more week until we can actually do some real prozelyting, sigh. 

My spellcheck never believes prozelyting is a word. Then again, neither do I, so there is that. 

Wednesday we also had to plan for our district training, so we squaded up and figured out our subject (our relationship with Christ) the skill we wanted to work on (bearing testimony of Christ) and how it would look. 

Thursday and Friday were spent actually presenting district training. With five districts,(and at least a half hour drive to all of our districts except Beaumont) it takes us two days to get through all of them. And those are a draining two days! They went really well, though. 

We were using our extra time those two days to try and invite YSA to the game night we were holding on Saturday. 

Saturday morning we blitzed one of the Beaumont areas (it was weird to do normal missionary work) and then we had our game night. Attendance was not all that it could be hoped for, but everyone that came had a good time and an invite to church. 

Church was fun, mostly because I got to speak. Go to a YSA, and they will use you. I also got to fill in as pianist for the first two songs, as the branch pianist (also the other speaker) was running a little late. In any case, I got to speak on fasting and fast offerings, which, combined with a special fast I was doing, really increased my personal testimony of fasting. 

A cool experience: we were texting and calling YSA who had formerly been taught, and one, who was taught over a year ago, responded almost immediately that she would love to meet with us, which was pretty sweet. 

With what we taught at district training, I want to share my testimony of Christ. I love Him! I really do love Jesus. Sometimes I feel like a youth pastor at a non-denominational church when I say it, but I truly do love Him. He means, and has meant, everything to me, and I have been changed by His grace. I know that His way is the only way to peace in this life, and happiness in the life to come. 

Serving in His holy name,
Elder DeFord







No comments:

Post a Comment