Conference season is always exciting, especially with President Nelson being rather vigorous with how he handles the helm of the church. No big changes this time around, of course, but some great messages. Some of my favorite talks were President Oaks and President Nelson's from priesthood session, I would highly recommend them to anyone who didn't get the chance to watch them.
This week has been a lot of prepping for conference. For the people we were working with to be baptized before Elder Mooney left, watching conference this week was essential, so we were running around town figuring out arrangements. And they went relatively well! T__ and L__ watched, T__ went to Brother Soper's to watch it with him, but L__ stayed home with the kids so we were afraid that she missed it. But she found it on her own on youtube live and watched it! So that was awesome! And we watched it with K__, who had lots of questions that we were able to answer. When I explained what a convert was, she said "so I would be a convert"? So I guess the idea of her upcoming baptism is sinking in.
Unfortunately, our little family that we have gotten to teach so much about Jesus Christ did not make it up to the church to watch it, so Elder Mooney won't be able to be at their baptism, even assuming they make the choice to join the church.
We have seen some cool things happen this week, though. Not super cool for the Spanish Elders, poor guys. As they were out working in the primarily Spanish area, they talked to this one young man who was not interested, they were moving on when his girlfriend ran up and asked to learn more about the church. But...they spoke English, so that gets referred up to us. We went down there to see her (also because the Elders told them the wrong time for when our church starts...and didn't tell her it was general conference, so we needed to clarify some things). She had had a rough past, but good experiences with the church and she wants to learn more! So that was really cool.
Another person just moved into the ward boundaries. She is an active nonmember, who has been attending church for four years, has a baptized child, and went to General Conference in person last October. But due to some other reasons she had not yet been baptized, and moved here so that she could be! And poor Spanish Elders...she speaks Spanish but wants to come to our ward. It is a hard knock life.
We had another lesson with J__ and M__ this week. Really saw the importance of asking inspired questions: Elder Mooney asked why they hadn't made it to church and they explained their iceberg concerns. And I don't know that we can resolve them, but we will keep meeting with them.and let the spirit do the rest, hopefully.
For district council this week I had T__ and L__ come up to the church, and we did a church tour with them demonstrating asking inspired questions, then afterwards asked them how questions affected their experience. It was a really cool council, if I do say so myself ;) and I need to say so myself, because the sisters didn't like my live role-play. Ah well, you win some and you lose some, I think it was a valuable learning experience.
Anyways, Texas is stormy as always, I hope you are all safe and sound at home and wherever you are reading this.
Love,
Elder DeFord
P.s. bonus points: what ten items would you bring to survive in the wilderness for a year? No guns.






No comments:
Post a Comment