D__'s interview was Tuesday, and for a variety of reasons her baptism was postponed. Well, she still had a great desire, so I offered that we could come by everyday for a short visit, pray with her and read a few scriptures. When I offered, little did I realize how awesome an experience that would be for me. So every day this week we have visited D__, sometimes going over the principles of missionary lessons, sometimes just reading from the Book of Mormon, one day we just sat and listened to hymns. But through it all, I felt like a real missionary, like I was really making a difference in someone's life. I didn't come out here to knock doors, though I knew I would. I came out to help people, and we have seen D__ grow so much (and make some huge changes). It has truly been a miraculous experience. And she loves the ward and coming to church. She is such a sweet, sweet woman.
Luckily, my real missionary work doesn't end with D__. We have always made some great progress with T__. We met with him Tuesday night and had just a fantastic lesson. We were teaching about the temple, and he was asking questions that showed that he was really thinking about what we were talking about. We answered his questions and he felt great about what we discussed. On Saturday we went over to his house to help him with his yard, because he can't push his lawnmower. Luckily, about two hours in to using the push mower, his brother-in-law showed up with a riding lawnmower to help. Which is good, because I think I still had at least a half-acre left to mow ;) but we were glad to serve him. Unfortunately, T__ was sick again on Sunday, and so didn't make it to church, which was the last attendance he would have needed before his baptism. We are going to talk to President Hewlett, though: even an active, life-long member wouldn't be able to make it to church if they were as sick as T__ gets, so we don't think that it should hold him back from being baptized. He has already a very strong desire and testimony, and great fellowship from the Sopers.
We haven't seen M__ and her family as much, but we stopped in and she talked about her prayers, that they have been going well and she feels good about them, which was awesome.
When we were going by to see a person we had contacted, we met their husband. Essentially just a door contact, I felt the drive to give him a Book of Mormon, so I plopped it into his hands and asked him to flip to a random page and start reading. He read a few verses, and it prompted a great discussion about where the Book of Mormon comes from, what it is, and what it teaches. It is such a wonderful book! Even just a few random verses can teach important principles, and the spirit bears witness of its truthfulness.
We had dinner with our recent convert V__, and we were going to teach one of the new member lessons, but I ended up assembling a desk for her instead. They make those kits needlessly complicated, I think, but I got it together in about an hour. Unfortunately, it is looking like I will be transferred before she makes it to the Temple for baptisms, as she went out of town this weekend, so no recommend interview.
Elder Wilkinson and I performed Come Thou Fount for sacrament on Sunday. If anyone wants to listen to it, I think I have a recording of one of our practices. Of course, I am playing the piano for the practice, so that is always dangerous.
I hope everyone is safe and sound and had a good week. I love you all!
Love,
Elder DeFord
No comments:
Post a Comment