Saturday, June 1, 2019

Week 27 (4/29/2019) Private Island

I always feel obligated to explain my subject line immediately.

But I won't.

So there.

Welcome to Cleveland, Elder Wilkinson! Elder Wilkinson is from a military family, so while he came to the mission from Ohio, he has loved many a place, including Germany. He also did theater in high school, so that is a big connection right there. We have been getting along quite well, it looks like it will be a good transfer. At the end of this transfer he will have been out for a year. 

The work this week was admittedly pretty slow, but there are a couple of things and people I'd like to note. 

First off, nobody made it to church, oof. That was a pretty rough one. But Elder Wilkinson at least had the opportunity to meet T__ and L__, K__, and M__'s family. It was funny, M__ had friends over, so we were trying to leave so as not to impose, and the 8 year old, N__, told her mom that we were staying ;) those kids are awesome, I love them. 

V__, who I think I have mentioned before, has been investigating the church for nearly four years, and moved here so she could be in a situation where she could be baptized. We finally got to sit down with her, and get to know her a little more. She clearly has a strong faith in the church and the gospel, but it was interesting to see that convert perspective on the gospel-she is one of the few long-term people I have had the opportunity to talk to. So we answered some of her questions and set a baptismal date of May 16th...the only problem is that she currently has a job that has her working Sundays. So she will need to take a day off or come in late so she can receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.  She is looking for a new job, though, and knows the importance of church, so that is really cool. 

The other person we began teaching this week is by the name of S__. She may be more interested in a Bible study than conversion, but we shall see. About halfway through the Restoration, her son came in and asked us "What is success?". Which was very off topic, but sparked a very good conversation. Immediately I said that success for me was to live eternally with my family and my God. But no matter what we said, this teenager could only see success as getting rich and having things. He thought, if I had these things, I would be happy. As we talked I saw how incredible our gospel perspective is. This kid wasn't happy. He wouldn't be happy when he was working, and even if he did make it good, he wouldn't be happy. That isn't where happiness comes from. Men are that they might have joy, but that joy comes from the peace of living gospel standards, making and keeping covenants. One of my favorite scriptures is Mosiah 2:41 (or somewhere around there) that says "I would that you should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God, for they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual". Truly an eternal perspective is beautiful. It was as we spoke to this teen that couldn't see beyond the moment that I really saw the import of the plan of happiness. I saw why it is different from what the world teaches. I have always taken it for granted, and thought the Plan of Salvation lesson was really just a bunch of interesting trivia. Which kept me from having a lot of faith in it as I taught. But I understand now that a correct understanding of the Plan of Salvation can change perspectives, can bring peace and happiness that the world just can't provide. It was a rather eye-opening experience. We didn't convince this youth, but I was definitely convinced more surely of the importance of the Gospel and the family. I think about the quote "no success in life will excuse failure in the home" (or however it goes). And it is true. Our families are the only things that are going to be waiting for us up above. 

There was an exciting announcement made in sacrament meeting-Victoria Roberts was called to serve in the Kennewick, Washington mission! So be looking out for a Sister Roberts coming to the area about the end of June. 
No raccoons have been climbing into the traps, so my hat is sitting unfinished, but that is alright. Elder Wilkinson isn't thrilled about the raccoon hide sitting on our floor ;) but I will clean it up just as soon as I get another coon to finish the hat. Speaking of animals, I wore a snake belt this week! Not a belt made of snakeskin, mind, I just wore a snake as a belt ;) 


Well, that is a lot of my week. As always, address any questions to me at adam.deford@missionary.org...and I might get around to responding. 

Love y'all,
Elder DeFord




No comments:

Post a Comment