Saturday, June 1, 2019

Week 28 (5/6/2019) Fishers of Frogs

(Credit sister Watt for the subject line) 

I had a big debate with myself over "Fishers of Frogs" or "Filling the Font". I guess I could have done "Fishing for Frogs in the Filling Font", but that seems a tad bit sacrilegious. 

Well, on to the week, and I shall explain. 

Tuesday was Mission Leader Training, so I met with all the other District and Zone and Sister Training Leaders in Kingwood for a very long meeting. It was good, we talked about ministering and faith in Jesus Christ. But nonetheless, very long. While we were gone, Elder Wilkinson was with the non-leader Spanish Elders, and they had both of our areas phones, so they could be effective.  Well, that left Elder Stebbins and I without a working phone. So when we got dropped off after MLT...we had no phone, and no keys. No way to contact them. Well, we broke into the Spanish Elders apartment to wait for them. They went to our dinner appointment and then went to find us ;) thanks, guys. 

Wednesday was pretty sad. We found out that K__ was moving outside of the mission in the next couple of weeks, and T__'s situation hadn't improved, so we were a little bummed. 

Thursday did a good job of making up for it, though. While doing our regular tracting and finding, we got a call about a referral, D__. Well, okay, referrals from church headquarters tend to be pretty trash (they just want a free Bible, and sometimes they don't even want that, despite ordering one) but we called her and set up to meet with her in the afternoon. When we show up for our appointment, she invites us right in. It turns out that she had been given a Book of Mormon when Elder Fowers was here, and had been looking up different Bible studies to try and find our church. I guess she wasn't ready when Elder Fowers planted the seed, but she was super prepared now. We taught the restoration, and everything was just clicking for her. At the end, we were talking and said that as she read and prayed about the Book of Mormon she would come to know that Joseph Smith was a prophet. She responds that she already thinks he was a prophet. Well, okay, would you follow the example of Jesus Christ and be baptized by someone holding proper authority. Well, I have already been baptized, but I understand what you have been saying about authority, and how can it hurt to do it again? Yes. 

Woah! It was super cool, and the spirit was very strong. 

After our lesson with D__, we went to see M__'s family. I love them so much! When they see our car pulling up, the kids will all run from down the street, bringing their friends they were playing with in tow. As we were walking up to the house, the neighbor saw us and asked if we were Jehovah's Witnesses (we get that a lot)  we say, no, we are from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He calls back "well don't go to that house, they are Mormon!". Hahaha, not quite. As we say we were meeting with them, and that that is our church, he repeats "you are barking up the wrong tree, I tell you they are Mormon!". Oh boy ;) but I guess we are doing our job well if the neighbors think they are Mormon. Well, M__ was getting ready for work, and said she had to work Sunday too, so we asked if we could get the kids a ride, and she said yes! We have been trying to get them to church for forever! Awesome. So we made some calls and the Delellatas agreed to pick them up. 

After M__'s family, we went to see V__. V__ lets us know that she got a new job and has Sundays off! We had been praying that she could find a new job, and one showed up out of the blue for her! Well, because of her new schedule, we were going to have to move her baptism-it had been scheduled for next Thursday. Well, she says she had been thinking about what we said the last time we visited her, and she didn't want to wait-she needed and wanted the Holy Ghost. Could we do it Monday? Yes we sure can! So we went into frenetic planning mode, and we will be filling up the font today for her baptism tonight! Super exciting!  

Friday we had district training, which went a-okay. Later that day I got to do the baptismal interview for K__, a little 9 year old the sisters are working with. She is so cute, and just blurted out that she loves Jesus so much before we could even get started. Also, things that are against the Word of Wisdom are "blegh". I love kid's way of looking at the world ;)

Saturday Michael got married, so I skyped into the family luncheon to congratulate him. It was really awesome to get to sort of be there for him, and to see everybody else too. Best of luck to him and Caroline!

Saturday night I caught my first frog. Or toad. Whatever he was. We named him  Timrek (kermit backwards). The next night we went on a short hunt around the complex with the sisters, ended up with a total of 5 little froggies. Or toadies. They are so cute and funny! It was quite the party. 

Sunday morning we went to pick up M__'s kids. I felt like a young parent: get your shoes, get your clothes, where are your shoes, why is there slime on your hands...well, we got them to church, but we missed the sacrament. Ah well. 

The rest of the day was good, and that brings us to here. 

Love, Elder DeFord







No comments:

Post a Comment