Saturday, June 1, 2019

Week 25 (4/15/19) One Week Older and Wiser Too

Dear everybody,

No, my subject line has nothing to do with anybody's birthday, I am just lazy and it didn't sound too bad for a subject ;) 

This week went by very quickly, and I am really not sure where it all went, so I will try to pick up on what happened. 

Yeah, I have no idea. We will start with Sunday and work backwards ;)

Church attendance on Sunday was essential for T__ and L__ to be baptized before Elder Mooney got home. Sadly, T__ has diabetes and doesn't have medication, so he is often sick. Sunday morning rolls around, he is throwing up and can't make it. So that was really disappointing. T__ has been such an amazing person to teach. They both are filled with faith, and really think about what we say and teach. But it wasn't to work out so soon, I guess. Assuming I stay another transfer I will still get to baptize them, probably. Just gotta get them to church. 

Which brings up another good point-this is the last week of the transfer. One more week until I pack Elder Mooney onto the airplane, back to Nevada.  In any case, next week my p-day will be Tuesday, all that good stuff. Although if you email me Monday, I am probably going to be in the apartment all day as he packs. Two years of living and collecting things is hard to boil down to two suitcases. Of course, he already sent home his gaming computer, so he doesn't have to worry about stuffing that in anything. (Side note....he didn't use his gaming computer, he just acquired it out here)

With the other people we are teaching: M__ and her kids are still awesome, although we didn't have much opportunity to teach them this week. And they promised us they would be at church and Sunday morning brought some empty seats :/ so that was pretty sad. But we will keep working with them!

Some kids we are really working with are S__ and M__, and their cousin B__. Their mothers are both members, not currently active, and they are unbaptized. We are building our relationship with them, beating them at basketball and all, and trying to work church in there. Well, I say we are beating them at basketball. I am really bad at basketball, but Elder Mooney is extremely good. So he beats them at basketball ;) and I run around like a chicken with my head cut off. Ah, well. 

We did some service for the Johnston family-I feel like a pro landscaper at this point. After doing the rock work and making the front flower beds on a previous occasion, we were planting some of the plants! It is starting to look really good over there. Oh, and the Johnston's son Marshall and his wife officially moved into the ward, so we helped them get their stuff in. I say officially, because he has always been there when I have. We did have some fun tornado  and severe thunderstorm warnings while we were working, though. Needless to say, the plants were well watered their first day into the ground. 

Another big upset from Sunday- Brother Resendez, our awesome ward mission leader, got released (or fired, as he likes to call it) for a new calling as young men's President. And he was only called the Sunday before I came into the ward. So that left us all a little taken aback. But that is alright, these things do happen. 

Well, I can't think of much else other than that. Lots of news next week, I suppose, given that it is transfers and I know I am getting a new companion, since I am "firing" Elder Mooney.

Well, I love and pray for y'all, take care!
Elder DeFord

P.s. DeFord is really hard for people down here, so here is my line: "when you go out you aren't driving 'da chevy, you are driving 'da Ford". And they know my name, just like that. Works every time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment