I know this is a little late getting out today, but we were fishing most of p-day with Brother Fontenosa. It was a lot of fun, I got pretty sunburnt and caught a stingray!
Port Arthur is a cool area. While I consider it more of a "city" area, it is in fact smaller in population than Kennewick. The big industry is the local oil refineries. As of this transfer there are three companionships in the ward, two with elders and one with sisters, which also make up my district. Take that, Utah ;) here we get three companionships in one ward ;)
My first few days here have been spent trying to get in contact with people already being taught, but we also had some sweet referrals from a sister that has not been actively attending church in years. There seems to be a lot of potential in this area.
The elders here get up early every morning to play bball at the church or to work out with one of our members who owns a gym. I kind of liked just working out at the apartment, but I can work with this schedule too. At least I get my cardio all the time.
We played volleyball with some members and their friends on Thursday, so I got taught how to actually play volleyball. Ruined a pair of slacks doing it, but now I know that I need to change on Thursday night.
The ward here seems pretty nice, although my first Sabbath with them was a little hectic. Right after our ward council the EQ president asked me to give the lesson in EQ. So my Sacrament Meeting consisted of reading the talk and getting my thoughts in order. The class went relatively well, we were talking about President Nelson's talk "Come Follow Me". Hopefully my teaching style wasn't offputting to the ward. And it was a small quorum that day anyways, so I can't have upset too many people.
Let's see. We parked in someones driveway (an inactive member) and came back to see three cop cars around our car. They were very cordial, though, so no complaints. One of the more pleasant mission experiences I have had with cops, so that was nice.
I cant think of a whole lot else to mention. As always, you can ask me questions if you want. I may also respond ;)
Love,
Elder DeFord

No comments:
Post a Comment