Dear
y'all,
We have been asked, as
part of our quarantine, to email our families each day to let y'all know how we
are doing. So, this really isn't a weekly or a blog post, but just me
checking in.
Our official direction
right now is that we are only to leave our apartment for essentials like
grocery shopping. We are supposed to do all of our proselyting online or over
the phone...which, incidentally, if anyone has any brilliant ideas about how to
actually make that happen, I am all ears! For the majority of my mission, my
use of a phone was just to set up an in person appointment, not to try and
teach them. I always used to feel bad for the sisters that served at visitor
centers and only could teach over the phone. Now I guess they just have the
most experience!
About 12 of our
missionaries are returning home this week, because of health issues or because
they hit 21 months. I have to feel so bad for all of these missionaries. If I
feel like things are falling apart, I can't imagine how they must be feeling,
with their service cut abruptly to an end. One of my former companions, Elder
Harward, is going home, and he said that it just doesn't feel real yet. President
is expecting us to get an influx of missionaries from world-wide missions who
got sent home and reassigned here in the next couple of weeks. He told us today
that transfers would only include very minimal and necessary changes, which is
not surprising in the least.
Before you start
getting a bedroom ready for my early release, though, the current guideline is
that the length of my missionary service will not be effected. President has
stressed, however, that things will continue to change. Poor guy has had a
rough couple of weeks, what with a missionary passing away, a missionary
breaking her spine and being paralyzed, and the coronavirus. He was asked today
in our zoom call what his biggest concern was for the next two weeks. He
laughed and said his biggest concern is actually getting some sleep. Seems like
life has different plans, though.
On the positive side,
I got really far behind on my goal to read the whole standard works, and now I
have some time to catch up. Plus I just made it through Isaiah, so it is really
all downhill from there.
I hope that y'all are
still okay, and haven't been caught up in the mass panic, and that you were
able to buy toilet paper before supplies ran out. If not, I hear they are
selling single-ply at a dollar a square, so that might be rough. We might all
want to be like Emily and Nick and get a bidet.
Well, wishing you a
happy pandemic from Louisiana,
Elder DeFord
P.s. Well, I tried to
put a gif of the monster from monster inc who got all shaved because of the
sock onto here, but my phone refused to cooperate. But that is how I feel
whenever anyone sneezes or coughs. Get the government in here, they've got the
'rona!

No comments:
Post a Comment