Sunday, April 12, 2020

Week 76 (4/6/2020) Conference!

Howdy,

What an absolute treat we had this weekend, to hear from Prophets and Apostles of the Lord Jesus Christ! As the different members of the Twelve stood to speak, I couldn't help but think that they were all looking particularly young and vibrant. It wasn't until the Sunday sessions when I realized that in all actuality, they probably still are getting older, but I could see the Spirit as it sustained them and renewed their bodies. Each one truly carried a mantle of power. 

There were so many great talks given. Alongside themes of restoration and revelation, repentance and remembrance, I thought that there was a powerful emphasis on runity, both in the church and in the home. Usually I think it is spelled "unity", but that would have ruined the alliteration. Joy D. Jones and Jean B. Bingham gave, I thought, just absolutely wonderful talks. As I listened, the thought came to me that if the family is the fundamental "unit" of society, it would also be fundamental to the "unit-y" of society. I also particularly liked Elder James R. Rasband's talk (it was fun to have two Elder Rasbands speak, huh?) on the mercy of the Savior. Truly He has repaid that which we cannot! Elder Renlund's talk was also, I thought, especially poignant. From both, I loved the thought and quote "The Savior loves to restore what you cannot restore...and He loves to permanently mend even shattered hearts". 

And the privilege to participate in a solemn assembly and Hosanna shout! Why, I felt anything but solemn! This truly was a historic conference! And I think we can all take President Eyring's counsel to make it "memorable" by the effort we put in to live by these teaching and seek the guidance of the Lord. 

Honestly the rest of my week was overshadowed by conference. For anyone with a hankering for the Elder DeFord's statistical report, I am only 27 pages away from finishing the Old Testament (I was in Isaiah just a couple of weeks ago), I have attached over a thousand sources in Family Search, and I eat about a fourth of my daily calories in peanuts every day. 

Don't you wish the church statistical report gave you fun facts like that?

Love,
Elder DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment