Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week 80 (5/5/2020) Come Follow Me

 

This week was much like our other weeks in quarantine, although we looked apprehensively towards transfers. No one likes change, and transfers bring change unpredictably and with distinct finality. My companion, Elder Hancock, is being transferred to Fred,Texas, and Elder Morgan will be joining me here in Welsh. 

 

While we weren't affected by this in our transfers, this was a crazy batch because we had 42 new missionaries come in! All of the missionaries who were sent home from foreign missions are being reassigned, and we got a heavy contingent. President was initially planning on about 20, and was only told this week that he would be getting more. I imagine he has had a very long week. 

 

Our daily devotionals have continued to be inspiring. This week Brenda Nelson Miles, President Nelson's daughter, gave us a presentation on the prophet’s life, which was pretty cool. It is strange to see him as a real person! We were also addressed by Elders Kyle S McKay and Sean Douglas of our area presidency. 

 

I can't decide if time is picking up pace or slowing down, but in any case, Louisiana has extended their stay at home order until May the 15th at the least, so our quarantine is not quite over yet. While I long to just knock on some doors, we are trying to make the best of it all. 

 

On Saturday President Hewlett mentioned that he had not yet asked anyone to present the Come Follow Me Lesson for the mission's zoom call on Sunday. I ignored the nagging feeling that it would be us, right up until he texted us asking us to do it. It was a good experience, however. It helped me see how the Come Follow Me program could be used. 

 

I have really struggled with Come Follow Me (not least because it hasn’t been my focus, as a missionary), because I just didn't see how to incorporate it into my studies. I traditionally just read through, taking notes as I go along about anything that stands out to me. And I just couldn't imagine taking a whole week to read the passages that they select. Studying Come Follow Me to present, however, helped to broaden my perspective. I realized that while my method, of reading straight through, is completely valid as a scripture study method, that it is not the only valid or beneficial way to read. You could study any number of ways: rereading a passage on multiple days, memorizing specific scriptures, finding cross references for topics discussed in a chapter. I realized that while I may only spend so much time reading the scriptures a day, that I study them for a larger portion as I use and look up scriptures while reading, journaling, or discussing. 

 

So some benefit can come from unexpected assignments, moral of the story. And I was shown my weaknesses, that I could be made stronger (see Ether 12:27). And if you look up that scripture, congratulations, that is part of your scripture study! 

 

Anyways, I will be driving most of the day, from this end of the mission to the other and back again. 

 

See y'all later,

Elder DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment