Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week 80.3 (5/9/2020) Pumpkin Bread Apology

 

No walk today, but I do have a picture.

 

You see, last night, I was sitting at my desk and Elder Morgan walked across the floor to his desk. These raucous activities were greeted by the sound of our downstairs neighbors banging on their ceiling and yelling at us. Well, it was about bedtime anyways, so we retired to our room. The banging stopped on our floor, only to recommence, this time on our door. I didn't feel like dealing with them, though, so I shrugged my shoulders, pulled up my covers, and went to sleep. 

 

Now, in my dreams, they called the cops on us, but that is another story. 

 

When we awakened, another round of floor pounding was set off by me opening my drawer to get a pair of garments out. Well, at this point, I figured I had two options. I could either start jumping up and down and really give them something to complain about, or I could serve them. Feeling that I couldn't very well emulate Christ by doing the former, I settled on the latter, and cooked a loaf of pumpkin bread and wrote a short apology. Now, I still don't have charity in my heart, but maybe one day I can feel and not just act kindly towards them. 

 

See, I do commiserate with them: I am sure we are loud. However, rather than being by intention or by negligence, the volume of our day to day living is caused by a poorly constructed apartment. We can do somethings to mitigate the volume level, but then again, is it our responsibility to inconvenience ourselves to make up for their choice of residence and the poor construction of our place? Well, perhaps, perhaps not. In any case, I personally am hyper aware of every sound, and remorseful of extra noise. I ghost across our carpets on the pads of my feet, and set anything down on the floor as gingerly as I can. In this way, I am overcoming my long-standing title of a herd of elephants (and making good use of all those times I snuck out of bed to get a midnight snack. Good practice!) My companions, however, must never have had a midnight craving, because their foot-falls heavy. I thought that perhaps, given Elder Morgans size (he is perhaps a hands-breadth shorter than I), I would wince less when my companion walks across the room. However, his stride is actually more forceful than was Elder Hancock's, and his disregard for thumps is greater. I certainly don't want to be the nagging wife telling him to be quiet, although I have mentioned it several times, especially given the fact that morally he probably has no obligation to temper his natural step. 

 

See, if everyone involved had charity, there would be no problem: we would be as considerate as we reasonably could, and they would be patient and understanding. But, I can only control myself, so I will keep focusing on not dropping things. Although I did drop half an egg. The other half made it back into the pan from which I had flipped it to try and fry both sides without turning it over with a spatula. I apparently need more practice on that technique, I think it is in the wrist. 

 

Well, thems the kicks, I suppose. We should have a less active and her nonmember family participate in our branch zoom call tomorrow, which is cheerful. 

 

Love,

Elder DeFord

 

(There aren't any oats in the bread proper, I just sprinkled them on top to make it look nice...also to make it look less like I used a baking mix. Which of course I would never do) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment