Monday, August 24, 2020

Week 96 (8/24/20) Just a Few Experiences

 Just a few experiences to share this week:


I had the opportunity to interview three baptismal candidates. I love having that experience, because they are so open to the spirit and so excited for the step they are about to make. In each interview, I closed by talking about the Sacrament, and how we make the same covenant when we partake of the Sacrament that we do when we are baptized. As I was teaching this principle, it hit me again how important the Sacrament is in our lives. Here I was, interviewing these people to ensure they were prepared for the covenant they were about to make. But who interviews me every week before I partake of the Sacrament? That is an opportunity that I have each week to evaluate my own desire. That is one thing that is so powerful about our covenants, D&C 20:37 talks about how one of the main requirements for a baptismal candidate is desire, the interview questions ask if you are willing to strive, and Alma asked about the desires of the people's hearts. We are not turned away from the Sacrament table because we aren't perfect yet. Instead, it is a perfecting tool that we have been given to strengthen and help us. 

We did have a change this week, we are now allowed to eat and teach in members homes when invited, so that is an exciting step forward. We got to eat with a couple of member families, and it was awesome just to get to see people in person and have a real conversation. 

We have been teaching this one friend, A__, for awhile, just over the phone. We texted him when we found out that we could teach in person again, but he responded in a bit of a weird way, saying he wouldn't be living there. We were pretty worried, and then his wife (who we have never talked to) texted us out of the blue and asked us to call. It turns out that he had gotten into some things that were really detrimental and self-destructive, and they were just reaching out for support. After praying with her, and ourselves starting a fast, we called up our bishop and relief society president. I just appreciate how willing the church is to give assistance in every circumstance, even to people who we have never met. 

Elder Gregory and I are on a quest to see some alligators, but who knows, they might come swimming up the street during the impending flood. The first two parks we checked for them were gator-less, but we did see a doe only about 20 feet from us, so that was pretty cool. 

Have a great day, have a great week, have a great life (credit the previous Elder DeFord)

Elder DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment