Monday, August 17, 2020

Week 95 (8/17/2020) Giant Spiders?

 

Dear y'all,

 

Honestly, it was a pretty long, boring week. But, since we are officially a Facebook mission (tm), and have been tasked with creating quality content, I should probably muster the strength to write some sort of a weekly anyways.

 

So, we finally got our Facebook training...which was all information we had already received, pretty much. We are supposed to create content that can then be posted either on our personal page or on the zone's Facebook page. However, only one companionship is assigned to reach out to those who interact with the page, and they are supposed to get the people who are interested to the right missionaries. Functionally, that means that we are not really using Facebook after all, since we aren't going to be doing any real proselyting after all. 

 

Elder Soares has apparently given our area the go to move to phase one of covid de-quarantining. Which, I suppose is hopeful, although the list of things we are allowed to do didn't really look different. We will find out more about that tomorrow, though. 

 

We had a virtual zone conference this week with President Piper, the area president. He really emphasized seeking revelation in the work and following the spirit. 

 

On Saturday we got to do some service in feels-like-110 degree weather, which was fun. 

 

Oh, I suppose I should mention. Should anyone be concerned for my safety because some missionaries here in Houston had their apartment broken into (not that that actually has any correlation to my safety, as long as it wasn't my apartment, but nonetheless) I am safe and secure. The missionaries are in the Houston mission, so I don't know them or have any other details. 

 

Now for your story for the week. Last Sunday, we got a referral named L__, and gave her a call. We had a great little conversation, and she was excited to do a Bible study with us on Tuesday. Tuesday rolls around, we give her a call, and teach a lesson about fasting, as that was the topic she had requested. Near the end of the lesson, I asked "when we talked last time, you talked about wanting to strengthen your relationship with your daughter, right?"  I don't think I have ever been more consternated than when she responded "No. You have the wrong number, I don't have a daughter." At this point I am frantically wracking my brain: I remember our Sunday conversation vividly, I know she had a daughter..."this is L__, right?" I ask, searching for some explanation. "Yes", she responded. Thoroughly confused, we set a return appointment with her anyways, and awkwardly end the call. A quick look into area book revealed my mistake. Last week we got two separate referrals named L__, L__ J and L__ W. When I had put in the information for L__ W's lesson, I had accidentally listed L__ J, so we called her instead. Laughing at our foolishness, we gave the right L__ a call and taught her the same lesson on fasting. Actually, we are fasting with her today! 

 

Well, seeing as I have now written enough to prove my continued existence (assuming that this wasn't typed by the giant spider who caught me in its web and assumed my identity) I will end here. I hope everyone has a great week!

 

Elder DeFord

 

No comments:

Post a Comment