In one third of missions worldwide, this was an
exciting week. After approximately 621 days as my Mission President and
companion, the Hewlett's returned home, and the Larkins stepped in. I am
saddened to see the Hewletts leave, but I will get to see them again soon
enough.
While the Hewlett's
returned home on Tuesday, we were going to meet the Larkins at zone conference
on Friday, so the week was a strange in between period, where I had never met
my mission president.
On Wed, Thu, and Sat,
for about 5 hours each day, we helped a member in the Spanish ward fill
underneath a portion of his house with thick clay to ward off standing water
and flooding when it rains. I feel bad for Elder Safsten, he was the only one
there who didn't speak Spanish! I also feel bad for the member...after we had
filled in all he wanted, and probably moved 7 cubic yards of this clay, he
still had more than half of his original pile of dirt.
This was somewhat of a
service week, we also had the opportunity to help a member in our ward move
back into her house after mold moved her out. The best part was getting to
assemble a bunk bed. You may now refer to me as fix it Felix. Anyone know if
the sequel was any good? Well, anyways.
Friday we met
President Larkin. When we arrived and I started playing prelude, he wasn't
there, so I wondered if he was just planning on making a dramatic entrance
right when we started the conference. I was trying to think of some good walk
up music to play, but it turns out that he had just gotten lost, it being his
first time to the Summerwood building. He and his wife seem really nice! He is
a marathon runner, accountant by training (I am still not sure what he really
did for his job, though), originally from Utah but that is a forgivable sin.
And he is already shaking the foundations of our mission, announcing that we
would, sometime in the not too distant future, be getting Facebook as a
mission. I am feeling like an old dog, though, who isn't ready to learn new
tricks. We will see how I feel about it once it gets implemented.
Other than that, we
got to teach the A__O__s on Wednesday, taught them about our living prophet,
President Nelson. In preparation for our lesson, I read through several of his
recent addresses. I am so grateful for how in tune he is with the spirit and
the needs of this church! I truly know that he is a prophet called of God. We
live in an amazing time!
Well, I didn't take
any pictures, again, but don't worry, I still look about the same as always.
All y'all take care
Elder DeFord
No comments:
Post a Comment