The Hewletts had zone
conferences with everyone this week so they could have a last opportunity to
see everyone and leave some final teachings, we had ours on Tuesday. Sister
Hewlett extracted a promise from all of us that we wouldn't talk about them
once the Larkins took over, which is probably fair.
However, zone
conferences weren't enough for them, and technology makes that easy, so we had
an actual final devotional with them last night. Elder Safsten and I performed
a musical number for it, "Everywhere I Go", with very little notice,
but it turned out well. It is sad to see them leave, they have been so stalwart
and such a big part of my mission experience. The change will definitely be a
little strange.
We had some good
lessons the rest of our week. On Wednesday we taught the A__O__family, reading
1st Nephi with them. There are a few of them who really seem to have interest
and a desire for it. After the lesson we sang "I am a Child of God"
for them.
One cool thing, I
feel, is the way some people react to us calling them. Obviously the majority
of those who answer hang up on us. But then sometimes people really feel
touched by it. One fellow, who we had been teaching previously but had a hard
time contacting, talked about how he really felt touched by it. Yesterday, we
called a random number, the man was originally from Texas but was in the
military, and he was so grateful for the message. Several times he just
mentioned how thankful he was.
And that will be the
experience with anyone who has a softened heart. I think sometimes we are
afraid to be bold about opening our mouths, because we are afraid of rejection.
But our message is awesome! And many people will receive our testimonies with
joy, because the spirit will be there, and without the gift of the Holy Ghost,
each taste of the spirit to others is novel and as refreshing as a spring in
the desert.
One strange thing
about my life now is that Elder Safsten has language study every day. So I also
do language study, on duolingo. I think I will soon start learning Spanish from
German, and German from Spanish, so I can really confuse my brain.
Let us see, what else
fun happened. Well, Elder Safsten and I wrestled, and he couldn't pin me in two
7 minute rounds. I mean, I also couldn't pin him, but no one expected me to in
the first place, so I wasn't too fussed about it.
Ah, I also cut Elder
Safsten's and the two Spanish Elders who live in our complex's hair (and my
own) in preparation for President Larkin's arrival. It is a lot of trust
someone gives you when they let you at their head with a razor and scissors.
Probably misplaced trust, in this case, but no one came out with bald
spots.
Well, signing out,
Elder DeFord
No comments:
Post a Comment