Monday, August 10, 2020

Week 84.4 (6/6/2020) Cold Calling and Bible Study

 

I finally gave in and started cold calling random numbers. After 30 disconnected numbers, figured out that was probably a bad vein. Well, we will try a new configuration tomorrow. 

 

Someone requested a Bible study, but they were too busy to talk today so I wrote one out for her--see attached. 

 

In fact, that is about all I have to report, so we will go right into it

 

The letters that the Apostle Paul wrote make up a large portion of our New Testament. Most of his letters are addressed to congregations who had questions about doctrine--as an Apostle, he was able to tell them the truth about the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, a couple of the letters, or epistles, that he wrote were addressed to individuals. We have two letters that Paul wrote to a man named Timothy, who he loved so much that he called him "my own son in the faith". We can learn a lot from the council that Paul gives to his friend Timothy. 

 

In Paul's second letter to Timothy, we read "from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

"That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works"

(2 Timothy 3:15-17)

 

Even though we may not have know the scriptures "from a child" like Timothy, we can still learn and love them. Paul was teaching his friend that the scriptures are important because they build our faith in Jesus Christ, that they have correct teachings about the gospel of Christ, and that they can show us what we should or should not do to have a happy life. Some things to ask yourself are "what do I want to get out of the scriptures?" and "am I willing to make choices based on what I learn in the scriptures"?

 

Additional reading:

Gaining faith from the scriptures

Romans 10:11-17

John 5:39

 

What the scriptures teach

Psalms 19:7

Romans 15:4

 

Where do the scriptures come from?

2 Peter 1:21

 

No comments:

Post a Comment