Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week 82 (5/18/2020) Knowing Christ

 

Dear y'all,

 

Even though this week seemed relatively long, I was looking back, and we have been in quarantine for more than two months, I think. Crazy! I am ready to get out. 

 

While Louisiana has left behind its stay-at-home order in favor of phase one of recovery, that didn't really change our situation much. In addition to our quarantine activities, we may now perform service. I think my parents said the missionaries at home can too; they should definitely use them as labor to finish their tile project. Just saying. 

 

There was a sweet woman who we had the opportunity to teach this week. Honestly, we were relatively surprised to actually get to teach...I had kind of lost hope that anyone would let us present a lesson. This woman had been taught by missionaries in Sulphur, but had recently moved to our area. She said that before she met the missionaries, she didn't even believe in God, but that now she is beginning to know that He loves her. Super awesome! Plus, I love expounding the scriptures. If all a mission was was expounding scriptures to an interested audience, I would have a whale of a time. 

 

The source of my subject line comes from our Tuesday devotional, by President Pitt. He shared this little story:

 

Scene: the spirit world/judgement

 

Man #1 comes into a room to meet a man holding a clipboard. He is asked, "What do you know about Jesus Christ?" 

"Nothing" he replies "I am an atheist and I don't believe that there ever was a Jesus". 

The interviewer nods his head and excuses the man.

 

Man #2 comes in and meets the interviewer. Again, the question "what do you know about Jesus Christ?". 

"Well, quite a bit! I was actually a Christian minister..." and man #2 begins to rattle off everything he knows about Christ, quoting scripture and details of His life. After a time, the interviewer nods his head and excuses the man.

 

Man #3 enters the room and, seeing the interviewer, falls to his knees. 

 

Do we know about Christ, or do we know Him? Stephen Robison puts it this way. Do we believe in Christ: that He exists, and is powerful, and created all things, or do we believe Christ: do we trust Him to do what He said He would, namely save all those who believe on His name. They are definitely good questions to be asking ourselves. 

 

Anyways, hope everyone is safe, happy, and blessed, and I know y'all are blessed, so I hope everyone is safe, happy, and recognizes their blessings. 

 

Love, 

Elder DeFord

 

No comments:

Post a Comment