Monday, August 10, 2020

Week 85.1 (6/11/2020) Bible Study?

 

Let me set the stage....

 

We are at the other Elders apartment, picking up our laundry and chatting a little bit. Elder Huish mentions that he would pay money to have seen me back in my Bible bashy days, before I got better at just bearing testimony and being more respectful. A couple of minutes pass. Their phone rings, one of the random numbers they called earlier is calling them back. Elder Huish picks up the phone and goes in the other room. Faint strains of conversation drift into the room we are in..."y'all believe you are descendants of Israel, right?"..."yeah, I can go deep, man, I love history"..."what about the Assyrian captivity"...Elder Huish reenters the room and holds the phone in front of me. The man on the other end doesn't notice the switch, but we are soon deep in a discussion about the House of Israel. After about an hour he hung up on me because I was resolute in my testimony in Jesus Christ as a separate being from God. While I never like getting in such a discussion, I was pretty happy...my temper never rose. And Elder Huish was happy because he finally got the full experience of me bearing down in full and sincere testimony. 

 

Honestly, an exciting day. The random numbers we called, about 20, all hung up after I said I was a missionary, so that was rough. Elder Morgan told me to stop calling because he felt terrible by association, listening to me get hung up on over and over again. 

 

We also had Brad Wilcox give our devotional today, it was really good. He began by talking about effective studying, by reading the lines (putting it into your own words) reading between the lines (what concepts lead into this scripture/how do these things look) and reading out of the lines (applying it to your life/people you know). He used Mosiah 3:19 as an example, and asked different people to share their thoughts.

 

Well, love from the mission field. 

 

Elder.DeFord

No comments:

Post a Comment