Sunday, August 9, 2020

Week 82.2 (5/21/2020) IOU's

 

One of the things about living in Louisiana is that you are suddenly aware that there certainly are millions of different kinds of insects. I generally am not too bugged by insect life, but when I cannot identify its kind, or when a beetle is so large that I can hear its footsteps on my bathroom floor, suddenly I am not too very fond of them. Thus, Insects of Unusual Size. They don't make them like that back home. 

 

Dad that is a pretty good video. Instead of showing it to our neighbors, I think we may just reenact it for their auditory pleasure. 

 

I forgot to mention it yesterday, but we are supposed to be cleared for church this Sunday, if with limited numbers and social distancing. 

 

It is frustrating to realize how much math I have forgotten. And it is weird which things I forget or remember, which means I end up reinventing the wheel. For instance, last night after I went to bed, I was thinking about the formula for a circle, I forget why. And I couldn't remember it, so I had to mentally model it with parabolas, and figure it out trial and error. Well, that got me thinking, and I realized that I couldn't remember the formula for the volume of a sphere. So I spent about an hour mentally doing the calculus that proves the formula. (I would have been quicker, but you don't think very clearly at 1 am). I finally worked out the formula, so then I decided to see if I could figure out the calculus proof for the area of a circle. I was very frustrated because I was coming up with an answer that was close, but not right. Turns out that you have to use trigonometric substitution to do that integral, and I didn't remember how. Thanks to Michael for reminding me about the necessary conversions.

 

Anyways, good times. Love ya, don't try and do mathematic proofs in the middle of the night!

 

Elder DeFord 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment